Friday 26 August 2011

R.I.P Baby Girl

A whole decade and one day ago RnB songstress Aaliyah was tragically killed in a plane accident. This was something that shook up my teenage years massively as I spent most of my early years crooning 'Back and Forth' into a hairbrush and brushing up on my 'More Than a Woman' routine. I was always a fan, such beauty, style and poise but it was that awful feeling of premature death in her prime. She had had a promising career but as soon as she became really big and on the way to something mainstream outside of urban music, her life was cut short. Following the release of her self-titled last album, her sound and look had progressed massively. The more avant-garde and high fashion styling that went with her more recent videos I really felt she was on the cusp of greatness. She had transcended that RnB songbird stereotype and left all traces of baggy boy jeans, sportswear and an infamous dalliance with R. Kelly behind in the 90s, she had blossomed into a glamourous and elegant style savvy young woman and the world was starting to take notice. Her music grew with her appearance with the help of midas touch producer Timbaland. Aaliyah will always have a special place in my heart as her music meant so much to me during my formative years and I still love hearing it now. Given the sudden death of Amy Winehouse the other day, it is frightening to see how many of my female A artists that fill my i-pod have been swpt to heaven way before their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Counter